City of Indolence
The Haven is not dead but dreaming...of your mom

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2019 3:52 pm  #1

Slackhaven.com update

I've been able to keep in touch with some core group while trying to rectify with Demo the breakage on Slackhaven.com, but what happened:

Last Monday we got together to move things over to my info (contact/payment/etc) with the Slackhaven host, MyHosting.  I was on the horn with them for about two hours getting everything done, with occasional Q's fired Demo's way, in case he already had credentials for one feature or another.  I was able to connect to the FTP and start downloading site data locally so I'd have backups of that, and not just phpBB forum backups.  (One of which I made immediately prior.)

For some reason, I was unable to get a SSH connection running to the server back-end (called Plesk) even though I could log into the Web administration panel just fine.  They initiated a ticket to take a look at that (so I could get more direct backups.  I like backups.) and I hung up with them.  I was going to post an update thread on the forum, when I noticed the front page SQL breakage.

I called MyHosting back to add this to the issues.  As far as I know, I wasn't even able to access the section that could cause this breakage--that's all on the far back end, where only their tech was looking around to read me off information.  Tech passed back a tier to further MyHosting technicians, and they were working on it for a few days.  They came back saying "we dunno," and "there are no backups of the board" but there IS some manner of backup within the Plesk environment.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how that shit works and have to go with them.  And if it's, like, a daily auto-backup that does no good anyway, as it would have already re-auto-backed-up the forum in its broken condition the next day.  

It's possible it's a working restore point, but I'd REALLY like to get manual backups of the SQL databases first.  I don't know how, yet, and haven't had the time to work with them yet.  (Server swinger projects and techs on vacation is making my last and current week kinda hell.)  I am in touch with Demo, but his availability is scattershot as well.

I am hoping we can get something rolling.  If the MyHosting environment is borked, I will at least try to set up a clean phpBB and import the board backups I was making.  Hopefully Plesk still has something within it so that we don't have to go that far, or this is a repairable issue.

My problem is my ability to work with websites is around 1%.  The only thing I was going to do is sit in Slackers in its current condition, learn the environment, make a plethora of backups, and see what adjustments could be made to lower the maintenance cost.

But this MyHosting fuckup kinda forced my hand at doing anything the easy way.

urgl...

fun times

4/20/2019 8:34 pm  #2

Re: Slackhaven.com update

Quick update:  Worked with MyHosting to find the right way to redirect slackhaven.com to this site, that can be turned on and off at will and won't mess with DNS, so any further testing or original site work can be done without serious issues.

I haven't been able to get ahold of Demo in a while.  I know he is going through things, and don't want to be a pain, but I still don't know what happened to damage SQL on the main site.  (I still suspect someone did a nono and is covering for it.)  But that is neither here nor there.  Anyone who possesses some manner of site-analytical skills to help out...?

Meanwhile I will pursue different phpBB-specific means of just getting the Admin Control Panel backups I was doing, and test to see what a raw import will do.  Since I've never done that before, I don't know what to expect.  It's a 338MB SQL table dump, but near as I can tell I can't look at it on Windows--it's just data phpBB can use.  (And hopefully works between different versions...?)  I think the site SQL databases the board's been using (what got damaged) is in the 3.6GB range.  Again someone with more knowledge can shed more light on this.

But that's where things are at currently.

The Plesk server apparently has a manual board backup from August 2018 (I'm guessing performed before Demo was doing some manner of update/maintenance?)  I am hoping there is a better option than an 8-month rollback.

4/20/2019 9:16 pm  #3

If the tubes are clogged can't you just unclog them?

4/20/2019 9:34 pm  #4

My tubes are tied.

4/22/2019 8:04 am  #5

If this takes actual work time money to unfuck the stuff they fucked up, please let us know. 

4/24/2019 12:08 pm  #6

Haha, it’s just crazy annoying to me, since I work with computers all day.  But that means nothing when it comes to websites.  😝

Also just not the right time of year for me to crash-course in this.  😑

5/09/2019 10:34 pm  #7

HarryCox wrote:

If it is all lost, who won the last post game?

You have to ask? (I be Daemonfey and I be stubborn)

5/10/2019 7:17 am  #8

1) Demo needs to step up to retrieve the old stuff.  It's on him.

2) If revived, we plan on executing WROOT...'s posts one by one as we make fun of him, but otherwise everything should be restored.

3) Not WROOT...

5/10/2019 3:02 pm  #9

Wroot not looking too guilty of something:

5/17/2019 11:28 am  #10

so I take it this is a very slow process?

Board footera