City of Indolence
The Haven is not dead but dreaming...of your mom

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2019 5:23 am  #1

End of a nice ride (GoT) (also: spoilers)

So, actually while this season felt horribly rushed I liked the way it ended.  My only real problem is: So if Bran knows all and sees all, and yet played the 'everyone is where they needed to be' line, allowing hundreds of thousands to be horribly murdered so the end justifies the means is exactly why Jon killed Dany.

other than that I liked basically Bran being 'king' so he could get tyrion to actually rule, knowing tyrion would never take the throne.

and I started this cuz the last thread is locked for some reason.

5/20/2019 9:57 am  #2

Re: End of a nice ride (GoT) (also: spoilers)

Jon's parentage having absolutely no purpose in the story except making Dany go crazy makes Bran look like a dick for even bothering to tell him.

5/20/2019 11:25 am  #3

"You've waited 8 seasons to find out who gets to sit on the Iron Throne for good and the answer is... NOBODY. HA!"

5/20/2019 12:44 pm  #4

it was fine.  so many unexploded prophecies, spirit animals, and character progression.  in the other hand, grey worm finds out Jon killed dany and arrests him? same Grey Worm that was just executing the surrendered soldiers in the last two episodes?  Her most fanatic devotee doesn't tear him limb from limb?

no sudden revelation that Dany is a war criminal, or guilt, or regret, or visit by Missandei's spirit? Just meh okay well throw him in the hole I guess and let's talk it out with these guys.

uhhhh ok

Huge story arcs shouldn't end up almost exactly where they started.  That's a bad return on investment. imho.

5/20/2019 1:22 pm  #5

Yeah Jon being under arrest or whatever was pretty dumb. Yet another thing that didn't get nearly the time/development it needed due to the rush to end the series.

5/20/2019 2:02 pm  #6

I liked it.  Had to fill in some gaps with my mind, but my mind can do that.

5/20/2019 2:30 pm  #7

filling in gaps is easy enough. twist: these prophecies don't mean anything is bad writing.

5/20/2019 2:49 pm  #8

As someone who has not watched the show, but plans to do so at aome point, I figured there is probably no sense in trying to avoid spoilers at this point so I just watched the last 2 episodes without having seen any others other than the series premier.

As someone not invested at all I cant really comment on how well things were wrapped up, but the visuals were definitely gorgeous.  The ends for most of the characters last night seemed ok, but I did have one question about Arya's end.  Had she always wanted to travel? From m the books I had thought she mostly wanted to get back to her family.

5/20/2019 5:39 pm  #9

nope.  brand new thing. her wolf was wild and a bit of a wanderer but the spirit animal thing was abandoned, so.

5/20/2019 7:41 pm  #10

hmf...from what I've been reading somewhere around season 5, Martin split from show's writers because they weren't listening to his ideas (Lady Stoneheart was a major point of conflict). Before that, Martin was a much bigger influence on the show.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if Martin actually does change things around whenever he gets back to writing his books sometime in the next millennium. (Have to wonder if he's interested in that anymore.)

Board footera