City of Indolence
The Haven is not dead but dreaming...of your mom

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2019 2:23 pm  #11

Re: Planescape Character Discussions

You can certainly propose anything, yeah.  It's all going to be balanced for first level if you use published official material or Unearthed Arcana, but I'd still want to approve.  Any homebrew stuff I retain veto power over, but I'm not going to kill a concept, just might tweak it a little- like we dropped one of the +Attribute points and two languages for Yote's modron build.

Anything you buy from DM's guild I need a copy of if you want to run it.  I like supporting our fellow creators but I'm not setting a budget for this campaign just yet (beyond TTS).

5/07/2019 2:24 pm  #12

Sheeeeep wrote:

so we're kind of, to borrow the previous game, in the wild west.  we can kinda go 'nuts' as long as it's not overpowered, etc?

Pretty much anything that should reasonably function as a playable race in any existing D&D setting is fair game, AFAIK. I think we are sticking with standard 5e classes though.

5/07/2019 6:44 pm  #13

Yeah, worse comes to worse you can just slap a new description on an existing race without the need to come up with special rules for it.

5/08/2019 5:43 am  #14

so I can be a 1st level lich?  I stumbled across the ritual of my great uncle vecna and I broke this chalk line in the floor and WHOOSH he turned into a pile of bones and I pooped out all my internals.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO

5/08/2019 7:35 am  #15

You can be a lich-like thing, but you'll be a first level powered character that turned into a lich and I'm not sure how you're going to get around undead weaknesses.

Also phylacteries are quite expensive, so if yours gets stolen or destroyed, it's gonna be hard times beyond the grave.

5/08/2019 8:00 am  #16

neios wrote:

You can be a lich-like thing, but you'll be a first level powered character that turned into a lich and I'm not sure how you're going to get around undead weaknesses.

Also phylacteries are quite expensive, so if yours gets stolen or destroyed, it's gonna be hard times beyond the grave.

well that can be part of my backstory is trying to find my phylactery.  someone/thing has it for some reason.

I actually made the lich reference as a joke but now that I'm thinking about it, plenty of side plot stuff.  could be fun.

5/08/2019 8:06 am  #17

There are vampire player races in some of the free Mage Planeshift: X books on the DnD site if you want to check those out for undead inspiration too.  Can't think of a lich PC race in any official material though.

5/08/2019 8:15 am  #18

neios wrote:

There are vampire player races in some of the free Mage Planeshift: X books on the DnD site if you want to check those out for undead inspiration too.  Can't think of a lich PC race in any official material though.

well..if you're willing to work with me I can put together a PC sheet and advancement stuff and we I can barter with you as to how that would come together.  we all seem to be the 'open minded seat of the pants' type roleplayers which is much more fun.

in reading on liches there are good ones too it sounds like.  I'm warming to the 'accidental lich' idea.  But if you'd rather I go off on a different tangent that'd be fine too.  Obviously nip it now before it festers

5/08/2019 8:24 am  #19

You can definitely put together a PC race that I'll help you balance, and it will be powered along the lines of other PC races.  Advancement would be based on your class however.  If you want to be a classic lich, you can take a spellcaster class.

And stuff will hit you based on level and attributes, don't think you aren't going to get Turned, Controlled or Destroyed based on the saves of a Challenge Rating 15+ full grown lich.

And no weird lich powers at the start.  You gotta earn them as feats or spells.

And I'm not entirely sure how, say, cure wounds and such is going to work on you.

5/08/2019 8:52 am  #20

I would say they wouldn't, but then again I probably wouldn't bleed to death either.

cool thanks.  I'll start working on something tonight.  and I look forward to being turned. 
"hey where did sheep go?"
"he went screaming over the hills there when this dumbass cleric tried to turn undead"

Last edited by Sheeeeep (5/08/2019 8:54 am)

Board footera