City of Indolence
The Haven is not dead but dreaming...of your mom

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2019 8:06 am  #11

Re: Planescape Campaign Session Zero

I really need to power through the mediocre and archaic gameplay of Planescape Torment so I can actually experience the story that everyone is always raving about.

5/02/2019 8:10 am  #12

neios wrote:

As the central hub of the multiverse, Sigil gets all types.  The Lady lets them in (if they aren't greater powers or gods), and lets them stay if they don't cause too much of a ruckus.  Devils, slaadi, angels and gehreleths are all pretty common visitors and residents of the city.

As far as mortals go, you've basically got three categories:
Primes are sods from the prime material plane.  We give may give you lot a hard time for being clueless, but most of us know it isn't really your fault. Out there, your average berk don’t concern himself with the structure of the multiverse, whereas out here you can’t ignore it.  A street urchin from Sigil knows about the Great Wheel, whereas a farmer from Krynn knows about turnips and dragons. And probably what dragons like turnips the best. So it’s unfair to treat you as completely ignorant.  

Petitioners are dead berks.  Deaders. Simple as that. Once lived, now dead- not to be confused with the undead. They aren't ghostly or zombiefied. They’ve gone on to serve their gods, or fulfill any death contracts they entered. They look just like regular folk, although many have a divine mark on them somewhere. Usually you'll find petitioners in the realms of their respective gods, awaiting whatever fate they were promised with very little memory of their previous life. But they live and work and serve as agents of their gods in Sigil, too.   

Planars are all the rest of us that aren't primes or petitioners.

so if you're a 'deader' can you offend the god you were tied to while being a deader and get 'removed'?  that would be an interesting take, somewhat similar to a paladin trying to regain his paladinhood, you're trying to regain your gods favor because what happens to an unattached deader?

5/02/2019 9:23 am  #13

Das Thug wrote:

I really need to power through the mediocre and archaic gameplay of Planescape Torment so I can actually experience the story that everyone is always raving about.

I never finished Torment myself.  I got up to the Maze, actually.  Good game though.

5/02/2019 9:35 am  #14

Sheeeeep wrote:

neios wrote:

As the central hub of the multiverse, Sigil gets all types.  The Lady lets them in (if they aren't greater powers or gods), and lets them stay if they don't cause too much of a ruckus.  Devils, slaadi, angels and gehreleths are all pretty common visitors and residents of the city.

As far as mortals go, you've basically got three categories:
Primes are sods from the prime material plane.  We give may give you lot a hard time for being clueless, but most of us know it isn't really your fault. Out there, your average berk don’t concern himself with the structure of the multiverse, whereas out here you can’t ignore it.  A street urchin from Sigil knows about the Great Wheel, whereas a farmer from Krynn knows about turnips and dragons. And probably what dragons like turnips the best. So it’s unfair to treat you as completely ignorant.  

Petitioners are dead berks.  Deaders. Simple as that. Once lived, now dead- not to be confused with the undead. They aren't ghostly or zombiefied. They’ve gone on to serve their gods, or fulfill any death contracts they entered. They look just like regular folk, although many have a divine mark on them somewhere. Usually you'll find petitioners in the realms of their respective gods, awaiting whatever fate they were promised with very little memory of their previous life. But they live and work and serve as agents of their gods in Sigil, too.   

Planars are all the rest of us that aren't primes or petitioners.

so if you're a 'deader' can you offend the god you were tied to while being a deader and get 'removed'?  that would be an interesting take, somewhat similar to a paladin trying to regain his paladinhood, you're trying to regain your gods favor because what happens to an unattached deader?

I dunno.  Scholars have said that petitioners are living their promised afterlife experiences.  That sounds kind of nice to me in places like Bytopia, the Twin Paradises.  Not as nice in places like the Hells, where night hags are known to shape petitioners into wormlike larva and sell them to devils that have a use for tormented souls. I bet some of those poor sods try to give 'em the laugh and get gone.  Petitioners don't tend to remember their former lives.   Some religions promise reincarnation or becoming one with their gods.  Does that happen? 

Some people don't follow religions at all.  There's a faction in Sigil that call themselves the Athar- they don't believe the gods are anything holy or to be worshipped.  What really happens to them after they get put in the Dead Book?

5/07/2019 8:05 am  #15

The Lady keeps Sigil from falling to the powers, or being used as a staging ground to everywhere in the Blood War.  Beyond that, her Dabus maintain the city to some degree. But she doesn't concern herself with the more day-to-day operation of a place as big as Sigil.  That falls on citizens that feel some civic duty- or some pull towards power.

The Philosopher Factions are some of the more well-known and visible collectives in Sigil. Each of them think they've figured out the secret of the multiverse, and that their overarching philosophy is the One Truth. There's more than a dozen of the major players, like the Doomguard, who believe that everything is falling apart and that is the plan, and the Transcendent Order, who believe that pure action without thought is the key to enlightenment.

Some of them practice and believe in their core philosophy hard enough to bend reality. I've seen a Cipher, a member of the Transcendent Order, move quicker than thought. There's one Guvner in the Lower Ward from the Fraternity of Order that's known for her ability to quote enough law by statute and section to literally paralyze a berk in the middle of what he's doing.

For the Philosopher Factions, the game is about more than just seats on the Senate. The more hearts and minds that believe in their particular way of seeing things, the more likely it seems to be the One Truth. Or maybe the belief itself is bending the multiverse in their direction.

But the Philosophers aren't the only ones with stroke in Sigil.

5/07/2019 12:41 pm  #16

this sounds kinda fun.  do you guys have any room?  what would I need to get to play, if that's what you guys are doing?

5/07/2019 12:47 pm  #17

Neios is in the planning stage.  We play on Steam - just need an account there.  None of us have rolled PCs yet - that's on the horizon.

5/07/2019 12:59 pm  #18

Yep.  If Tolkien can do 9 for a...half of...a book, I can do 7 I think.  

5/07/2019 5:19 pm  #19

=10pt

In addition to the Philosopher Factions, you've got a thousand other groups, partnerships and societies looking to wring every last bit of jink out of Sigil.  That makes the holy bankers of the Orzhov Syndicate very happy, since moving wealth is their sacrament. House Dimir watches from the shadows of every doorway in the city of infinite doors. The Selesnya Conclave tends to the green nature preserves in Sigil, and the Gruul clans chip away at the areas fallen into ruin around the rubblebelts and the Vecnascar.

Competing interests with enough gold to choke a thousand dragons. Fair Sigil, city of endless opportunity.

5/08/2019 8:03 am  #20

That gentleman appears to be some sort of pachyderm

Board footera