City of Indolence
The Haven is not dead but dreaming...of your mom

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2019 3:45 pm  #1

Assemble (Endgame w Spoilers)

I loved this fucking movie, with it's weird time travel and sort of tangled middle act.  Adored.  This is a comic book arc in movie form and I loved it.

WORTHY

4/27/2019 9:52 pm  #2

Re: Assemble (Endgame w Spoilers)

Yeah, I loved it.  It was way better than Infinity War, and in fact I think it was probably the best movie in the whole series.  There were just so many great moments where the whole theater, (myself included) actually cheered out loud.

Even though it made the first part of the movie pretty slow, I really liked that they took the time to show the aftermath of the snap and how all the heroes dealt with the emotional cost. I also thought the time travel stuff was really well done, and I liked how it gave callbacks to a lot of the previous movies in the series, especially the behind-the-scenes heist going on in the background of the first Avenger's movie.  It was also really funny to see the opening credits scene from Guardians of the Galaxy from an outside perspective of someone not wearing Starlord's headphones. I also loved it when Warmachine ran down the list of time travel movies (including Bill and Ted!)

It seemed like all the original Avengers got very satisfying conclusions to their stories, especially with Natasha getting all the red off her ledger and Steve finally getting back to make his date with Peggy Carter. While Tony's end was sad, it was fitting, and in retrospect they definitely set it up well with his near death at the beginning to neatly bookend the film. His echo of the last line from the first Iron Man movie as he made that snap was also just so satisfying.

Particular high notes for me were when Cap picked up that hammer, and when he picked himself off the ground with a broken shield to make that walk where he faced down an entire army on his own. That fight between Black Widow and Hawkeye over who got to sacrifice themselves was also really gut-wrenchingly great, and provided a nice contrast to Thanos' actions in the same situation in the first film.

4/28/2019 8:24 am  #3

Movie was pretty dope. The entire last third or so after the hulk snap was just pure fan service hype in the best way. Also, between this and seeing Captain Marvel earlier in the day I think they did a great job with her. Really looking forward to seeing her more, and I was a bit disappointed at how little she was in Endgame. I will say though, as someone who managed to not actually be spoiled at all, everything more or less played out the way I thought it would, down to Tony sacrificing himself and Steve going back to Peggy.

One thing that's bugging me though: Doesn't old cap showing up at the end break the movie's own explicit time travel rules? He should be in a separate timeline right, and therefore not all of a sudden be an old man in their timeline in 2019?

Oh, also I can't believe they left thor fat for the whole movie lol

Last edited by Das Thug (4/28/2019 8:25 am)

4/28/2019 12:22 pm  #4

re: cap and new timeline. what if it happened like it was supposed to all along?

I think that could be what the ancient one was getting at.

4/28/2019 1:22 pm  #5

It seemed like they purposefully kept the time travel rules kind of hand-wavey.

4/29/2019 10:40 am  #6

Also - 5 years passed...how did Peter go back to school and everyone was the same age?

4/29/2019 1:53 pm  #7

Lots of people were saying the movie was the bestest ever...until they really thought about it.

4/29/2019 2:29 pm  #8

I’ve been thinking about it all weekend and it still seems really awesome

4/29/2019 2:37 pm  #9

I don't know if it was the best of them all (my brain doesn't do well with ranking things I like against things I like) but it was totally awesome and I want to see it again really soon.

It also strikes me as a singular cinematic achievement.  A culmination of almost 2 dozen films.  Holy shit!

4/29/2019 5:00 pm  #10

Gorzy wrote:

Also - 5 years passed...how did Peter go back to school and everyone was the same age?

Everyone he knows also got snapped I guess. It's definitely something they are likely to largely ignore. The entire logistic ramifications of half the worlds population showing back up after 5 years is way too messy to really be handled in a way that is both accurate/meaningful and preserves the sense of actual victory. Spouses could have remarried, homes and jobs are gone, etc.

Board footera