City of Indolence
The Haven is not dead but dreaming...of your mom

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2019 7:32 pm  #31

Re: A Thread of Games in Exile (with Spoilers)

4/30/2019 5:18 am  #32

yea I thought that was a little weak, but the dothraki aren't 'defenders' per se

4/30/2019 6:45 am  #33

Sheeeeep wrote:

yea I thought that was a little weak, but the dothraki aren't 'defenders' per se

I think it was more that they were likely expecting their charge to work the way their usual charge does but it didn't at all. Instead of crashing through infantry and causing chaos, they were basically just stopped dead at the front lines due to how numerous and densely packed the wights were. Before the episode, I was expecting a charge of Dothraki to be pretty effective against a bunch of corpses, but with the way they portrayed that army as this thick ravenous horde, I can definitely see how it makes sense to turn the tables.

4/30/2019 8:10 am  #34

well not to mention I think the first thing they run into is the giant, or a giant.  don't matter how ferocious you are, they have to pick you up so you can stick 'em in the eye.

4/30/2019 8:18 am  #35

I don't think screamers are well suited for much more than charging, but with a very long amount of time to prepare they definitely should have flanked the dead, or circled around and smashed some against the walls of winterfell.  that part was jarring but real cool visuals.

honestly everyone should have been on ranged duty, and probably several layers of burning trenches deep.

4/30/2019 2:09 pm  #36

I don't watch, but I heard that there were no trenches...palisades, and trebuchets/catapults were on the front line? wtf? (Didn't the writers watch Return of the King? Those trebs were behind the walls for a reason)
I should think that the first rule in any battle you're trying to win is keep your own alive while dishing out damage.
That's even critical when the other side can add your dead to their own troops.

I guess Dany's madness is showing...

4/30/2019 3:44 pm  #37

Fenris wrote:

I don't watch, but I heard that there were no trenches...palisades, and trebuchets/catapults were on the front line? wtf? (Didn't the writers watch Return of the King? Those trebs were behind the walls for a reason)
I should think that the first rule in any battle you're trying to win is keep your own alive while dishing out damage.
That's even critical when the other side can add your dead to their own troops.

I guess Dany's madness is showing...

Placement of artillery was dumb, but a lot of the other things can just be attributed to lack of time to properly prepare.

4/30/2019 4:23 pm  #38

I don't think it was "lack of time" so much as it was sloppy writing.

You have a castle right there...a point of defense that seems to have gone unused.
This was a defensive siege that could have been won with a lot less dead on your side.

...fire trenches to control the movements of the undead horde...Come to think of it, did they use fire beyond the moat? Of them all that Tyrion would have been the smart one to think of that...I mean that's his character..."smart mofo" says so on the label.

8 years of build up...think you guys deserved better.

4/30/2019 6:55 pm  #39

Oh wait...

"I sneak past the white walkers at the entrance"
Dude, there is like all the white walkers there. And the entrance is 12 foot wide with no cover... fine, just roll.
(Natural 20)
Damn... ok, well only the Night King spotted you. He has initiative so he grabs you by the throat.
"I stab him to death with my knife"
You can't just stab him! He has you by the throat!
"I roll to break free"
(19)
Fine, you get one hand free, but it isn't the hand your knife is in.
"I drop the knife and catch it with the other hand"
How does that even work? Ok, fine, but you have to roll for both the drop and the attack separately. Roll for Drop.
(20)
WTH! Ok, this guy is literally the boss of the entire setting, he has a massive armor class and you have a penalty to attack now
(20)
… Seriously?

Roll for damage. 1d6 exploding die.
(6)
… sigh
(6)
… of course
(6)
… you know what, fine. Don't even bother rolling any more. He is dead.
"I attack the rest of the army"
Don't bother, they all died too. Because reasons. I need a drink.

Sadly the GM's only backup notes were the ones where the party now had to fight a drunk queen, her Professor Farnsworth reject and a crazy pirate. And the GM was forced to have the Queen pull tons of money out of nowhere so she could hire mercenaries and be a threat to the guys who just offed the Not-Lich-King.

Really the only thing I'm looking forward to now is Cleganebowl, which is 99% certain to be a thing given how fanservice-laden the show has become.      

4/30/2019 9:43 pm  #40

How the Dothraki charge really went down; https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/awA8m6x_460svvp9.webm

Board footera