City of Indolence
The Haven is not dead but dreaming...of your mom

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2019 1:47 pm  #1

Playstation 5 is looking pretty fancy

So it doesn't have an official name or anything yet, but Sony has gone public with a bunch of specs for their next video game console machine for your home TV entertainment system. Here is a copy paste from another website:

• Mark Cerny is once again the Lead System Architect.
  • 8 core AMD 7nm Zen 2 based on third generation Ryzen.
  • Ray-tracing support with custom AMD Navi GPU.
  • Custom AMD unit for 3D Audio, also aided by ray-tracing, a big upgrade. Hot on the heels of Sony having acquired near-industry-standard AudioKinetic.
  • Extremely fast high-end custom SSD storage faster than any solution currently available for PC:
  • Spider-Man load times on PS4 Pro: 15 seconds → 0.8 seconds on next-gen PlayStation. That's ~19x faster!
    Huge practical game changer opening up for new design opportunities.
  • Technically supports 8K but Cerny demoed Spider-Man load speed improvements on a 4K screen (I would only take this as confirmation of HDMI 2.1).
  • New Virtual Reality platform strongly hinted at but also supports current PSVR (meaning millions of VR users 'day one').
  • Death Stranding might be a cross-gen title (speculation in article based on Cerny reply).
  • Physical Media.
  • Backwards Compatible with at least PS4 (relevant for 90+ million users).
  • Devkit is with developers and they recently accelerated its deployment.
  • Four years in development so far.

Pretty cool stuff, I do like playing video games how about you guys

4/17/2019 2:36 pm  #2

Re: Playstation 5 is looking pretty fancy

I skipped the last generation of consoles, but I think I’m ready to dive back in on the next generation.

4/17/2019 3:30 pm  #3

PS5 having backwards compatibility means you can snag any of the great PS4 games that you missed too, like God of War or Bloodborne.

4/18/2019 8:56 am  #4

I certainly approve so far.  Though I don't get why they announced what they did in the way they did, via a rando Wired interview.

I would normally assume, especially if they're skipping E3 and their own timed PSX events, that they'd wait until competitors announce to firm things up, rather than reveal their hand at any point prior. 

4/18/2019 10:11 am  #5

If it improves non-game play, I would like that (apps like Netflix, etc.)

As for game play - depends on games if it's worth it.  People killing people I'm over - but Spidey or Mordor I'm all in.

I'd get back into WoW if I could console it.

4/23/2019 8:20 am  #6

MMOs are pretty lonely on consoles.  Everyone having a keyboard is a key har har part of the experience.  Even though I prefer console stuff now.

4k movies are still weird to me.  Especially on peoples' giant TVs.  I wonder what gaming is like.

4/23/2019 9:01 am  #7

Rather assumed at this point everyone was chatting on Discord, and random overworld chat itself was pretty snuffed out of existence.

4/23/2019 10:02 am  #8

I’m ok using discord with friends, but I don’t want to listen to the yammering of a bunch of random online idiots

4/23/2019 10:56 am  #9

Big time same.

4/23/2019 11:31 am  #10

Load time improvements over the Pro are definitely welcome. It didn't do much to improve load times over the regular PS4 that I noticed.

Also if they could please fix the dumb UI so that stuff can be moved between storages in the background like Xbox has been doing for years. Making you stare at a progress bar for literally an hour is the dumbest thing ever in the current gen. Yes even dumber than Microsoft pretending briefly that they were going to disallow resale of games. Cause at least that never actually happened.

Last edited by erod550 (4/23/2019 11:32 am)

Board footera